A moving house checklist can help you stay organised and ensure that you don’t overlook any important tasks during the moving process. Here’s a comprehensive checklist to guide you through the steps:
Eight Weeks Before Moving:
- Start decluttering and organising your belongings.
- Create a moving binder or folder to keep all important documents and information.
- Research and book a reputable moving company or rental truck, if necessary.
- Notify your current landlord (if renting) or start the process of selling your home.
Six Weeks Before Moving:
- Begin packing non-essential items and items you won’t need before the move.
- Inform your children’s schools about the upcoming move and arrange for school records to be transferred.
Four Weeks Before Moving:
- Notify utility companies, internet providers, and other essential services about your move and arrange for disconnection or transfer of services.
- Update your address with the post office and set up mail forwarding.
- Notify banks, credit card companies, insurance providers, and other important contacts about your change of address.
Three Weeks Before Moving:
- Continue packing and label boxes with their contents and destination rooms.
- Dispose of hazardous materials and items that cannot be moved.
Two Weeks Before Moving:
- Confirm the details with the moving company or truck rental.
- Make arrangements for your pets during the move.
- Start using up perishable food items in your fridge and freezer.
One Week Before Moving:
- Finish packing all non-essential items.
- Pack an essential box with items you’ll need immediately upon arrival at your new home (toiletries, clothes, important documents, etc.).
- Confirm the new house’s utilities are set up and ready for your arrival.
- Double-check all rooms, closets, and storage spaces for any overlooked items.
- Supervise the movers or the loading of the rental truck.
- Take final meter readings for utilities in your current home.
- Lock all windows and doors and hand over the keys to the Real Estate.
- Unpack the essential box first to access important items immediately.
- Inspect your belongings for any damages during the move and inform the moving company if necessary.
- Update your driver’s license and vehicle registration with your new address.
- Register to vote with your new address.
Remember that this checklist is a general guide, and you may need to adjust it based on your specific circumstances. Moving can be stressful, so having a checklist can help you stay on track and make the process smoother and more manageable.